For Quick, Better and Undisturbed Sleep
Insomnia, or sleeplessness, is a sleep disorder that affects about 25% of the U.S population. When you have insomnia, you either cannot sleep or if you do, the sleep is not sound and relaxing. You wake up tired and exhausted.
Sleep disturbance or lack of it leads to daytime sleep, low energy and mood swings. Insomnia can also result in anxiety, stress and depression.
There is nothing fancy about insomnia. Insomnia is unglamorous. It is just sad.
There is obviously a quick fix to insomnia – majority of the people pop sedatives to overcome sleeplessness but the biggest problems with sleeping pills are the:
- Development of tolerance with prolonged use
- The unavoidable hangover effect
- The long duration before the effect can be produced
Lortem (Lormetazepam) solves these problems. It is so effective, you will sleep instantly and wake up fresh; so mild you will not have any hangover effect.
Lortem produces sedative effects by binding with α and γ sites of gamma amino butyric acid (GABA) A receptors. This results in opening of chloride channels and in-flow of chloride ions into the neurons. Entry of Cl¯ ions results in hyperpolarization of neurons which increases the threshold of action potential. The overall impact is in the inhibition of neurons resulting in sound sleep.
Why Lortem and No Other Sedative?
Lortem is designed to perfect your circadian rhythm. It works for 6-8 hours giving you sufficient night-time sleeping. The sleep quality is superior and you wake up fresh and alert. What makes Lortem superior to other benzodiazepines is that it does not cause day time sleeping like the latter. Long-acting benzodiazepines continue to exert their effect throughout the day. Lortem has a half-life of 8-10 hours which is just about perfect.
Lortem is designed to induce a quick sleep, i.e., within 20 minutes of popping the pill. The sleep induction time of sleeping pills is anywhere between 1-1.5 hours.
Lortem is so mild, it produces little or no side effects. Your body tolerates it well. It takes care of all symptoms associated with insomnia, such as anxiety, stress and restlessness. Start taking Lortem, on advice of your doctor, and you will notice the difference real quick.
- Sleep-related anxiety and restlessness
- Sleep-deprivation and associated symptoms, such as muscular exhaustion, irritation, mood swings
Adults: 1 tablet with water or liquid 20 minutes before sleep.
Elderly: 1-2 tablets as a single dose shortly before going to bed.
The dosage can be continued safely for several weeks, i.e. 4 weeks. Then taper it off slowly by reducing the dose to half and then stopping completely. Sudden stoppage can result in withdrawal effects.
Lortem is well-tolerated with few, if any, side effects. However, some patients may feel:
- Do not drive or operate a machine after ingesting Lortem because the drug produces a quick onset of sleep.
- Be careful if you have severe pulmonary insufficiency. Discuss with the pharmacist whether you can take Lortem in pulmonary disease.
- Lortem is not recommended in pregnant women or lactating mothers.
- Lortem is not suitable for children under 18.
- If you have a muscular disorder such as myasthenia gravis, you should discuss with a doctor or a pharmacist whether Lortem is suitable because the drug can produce difficulty in muscular coordination.
- Lortem is not suitable for patients with glaucoma.
- Do not take Lortem with alcohol or CNS depressants because the side effects can intensify.