For Prostate Cancer and Over-active Sex Drive in Men
Androstat® tablets, made with cyproterone acetate; an antiandrogen, is Pacific Pharmaceutical’s special product to curb over-active sex drive and treat prostate cancer in men.
Cyproterone acetate: Cyproterone acetate belongs to the group of medications called antiandrogens. It is used for the treatment of prostate cancer but with a combination of estrogen, it can also be used to treat gynecological conditions in women related to androgen sensitivity, such as acne.
Mechanism of Action
Androgen are a group of hormones responsible for male traits and reproductive activity. They are also called the ‘male hormones.’ The growth of tumors of the prostate gland may be dependent on the male hormones. The antiadrogenic properties block the androgen receptors which help in reducing the androgen levels in the body and relieve the symptoms of the tumor in the prostate gland.
Androstat® can also be used by males to control an over active sex drive.
- Treatment of prostate cancer
- To control and overactive sex drive
You should not or only take these medicines after consulting with your doctor if you have any of the following conditions:
- Allergic to the active ingredients
- Pregnant or lactating
- Meningioma (a benign tumor of the tissue layer between the brain and the skull)
- Liver disease
- Sickle cell anaemia (abnormality of red blood cells)
- Kidney failure
- History of blood clots (heart attack, stroke, thrombosis or embolism)
- Tumors (other than the tumors in the prostate gland)
Before taking this medicine, inform your doctor about:
- Medicines you are taking at present
- History of allergies
- Pregnancy or lactation
- Medical history
The medicine is prescribed by the doctor according to the disease and the individual patient response.
Generally, for treating,
An overactive sex drive
- the usual dose is 50mg tablets twice a day
- two 50mg tablets twice daily alone for 5-7 days, followed by two 50 mg tablets twice daily for 3-4 weeks with another medicine
For long term treatment
- the usual dose is one 100mg tablet or two 50mg tablets two or three times a day
For side effects caused by other treatments of prostate cancer (hot flushes) or following surgical removal of the testicles
- the usual dose is one 50 mg tablet once or three times a day