For Birth Control & Gynecological Disorders
Ethicept® is an oral contraceptive. It is an estrogen-progestogen combination that works as effective birth control pills
Mechanism of Action
This contraceptive works in three ways:
1. It thickens the cervical mucus so the sperm cannot reach the egg
2. It stops the egg from being released by the ovaries
3. It thickens the lining of the womb to prevent implantation
Ethicept® consists of gestodene and ethinyl estradiol.
Gestodene: Gestodene is a highly potent progestogen (a reproductive hormone in women).
Ethinyl estradiol: Ethinyl estradiol (EE) is an estrogen medication which is mostly used in birth control pills. In combination with other drugs, it is also used to treat gynecological disorders and menopausal symptoms.
Dosage & Instructions
- Take 1 tablet daily for 21 consecutive days, followed by a 7-day interval.
- Tablets should be taken every day at the same time
- Treatment should be started on the first day of menstrual bleeding
- Do not take a double dose to make up for a missed one
- Tablet must never be discontinued for longer than 7 days
- If patient is less than 12 hours late in taking the tablet, then she should take as soon as she remembers
- If patient is more than 12 hours late in taking the tablet, then contraceptive protection may have been reduced